The Geis Family Education Endowment Fund
was established in December 2010 to ensure qualifying students are provided access to quality, Catholic education regardless of their ability to pay. The first Geis Scholars scholarships were awarded in the 2011-2012 academic year. The Erwin & Katherine Geis family has a long history of supporting Catholic ministries, and established this Fund as a lasting legacy to this family's commitment to providing a quality, Catholic education to eligible students.
To provide academic scholarships, with opportunity for annual renewal, to students enrolled
in Catholic high schools located in Cuyahoga County, Diocese of Cleveland, who have demonstrated financial need and record of academic success.
Academic scholarships of $5,000 each will be awarded to students meeting the criteria cited below, with an opportunity for annual renewal with evidence of sustained excellence in faith, academics, community service and positive peer relationships. A total of ten scholarships are awarded annually. For the 2017-2018 academic year, there are potentially 5 renewal and 5 new scholarship opportunities.
Criteria (students selected to apply:)
- Applicants must be refugees, immigrants or children of first-generation immigrants
- Applicants must qualify for free or reduced school lunch program
- Are currently enrolled in, or have been accepted by, a Catholic high school located in Cuyahoga County in the Diocese of Cleveland
- Can document a minimum scholastic achievement of 3.0 GPA
- Are involved in school life and consistently demonstrate positive character traits
- Are willing to participate in an informal gathering hosted by the Geis family representatives. Geis Scholars would have the opportunity to meet their grantor(s) and express how they have benefited from the grant and from their Catholic education.
- Are willing to register on the National Student Clearinghouse prior to high school graduation.
- Principal/Nominating school official provides recommended students with the application materials.
- Letter of Recommendation completed by a non-family member.
- New and renewal students complete the Geis Student Essay section of the application.
- Parents complete the Geis Parent section of the application and send the complete package to their principal by March 1, 2017
- Principal/Nominating school official completes the school section of the Geis Scholarship application, reviews required documentation submitted by the family to ensure completion, and forwards the completed information to the Office of Catechetical Formation and Education by March 15, 2017.
In May, the Office of Catechetical Formation and Education will send written notification to each of the recipient families and respective Catholic school principals. Contact the Office of Catechetical Formation and Education at 216-696-6525 (Cindy Williams, ext. 2830) with questions.
To obtain a copy of the Geis Scholars application, please visit Trinity's Business Office.