The Geis Family Education Endowment Fund
was established in December 2010 to ensure qualifying students are provided access to quality, Catholic education regardless of their ability to pay. The first Geis Scholars scholarships were awarded in the 2011-2012 academic year. The Erwin and Katherine Geis family has a long history of supporting Catholic ministries, and established this Fund as a lasting legacy to this family's commitment to providing a quality, Catholic education to eligible students. The Fund provides academic scholarships to students enrolled in selected Catholic high schools located in Cuyahoga County, Diocese of Cleveland, who have a demonstrated financial need and record of academic success. Trinity students qualify for this program.
Academic scholarships of $5,000 each will be awarded to students meeting the criteria cited below, with an opportunity for annual renewal with evidence of sustained excellence in faith, academics, community service and positive peer relationships. Principals may recommend three new students for the scholarship award in addition to resubmitting renewal applications. Ten scholarships are awarded annually. For the 2013-14 academic year, there are potentially 6 renewal and 4 new scholarship opportunities.
Criteria (students selected to apply:)
- Are currently enrolled in grade 8 or secondary Catholic Schools located in Cuyahoga County in the Diocese of Cleveland
- Can demonstrate financial need as evidenced by a completed Private School Aid Service (PSAS) application
- Can document a minimum scholastic achievement of 3.0 GPA
- Are involved in school life and consistently demonstrate positive character traits
- Are willing to participate in an informal gathering hosted by the Office of Catechetical Formation and Education with Geis family representatives. Geis Scholars would have the opportunity to meet their grantor(s) and express how they have benefited from the grant and from their Catholic education.
- Are willing to register on the National Student Clearinghouse prior to high school graduation.
- Principals provide recommended students with the application materials.
- New and renewal students complete the Geis Student Essay section of the application.
- Parents complete the Geis Parent section of the application and attach documentation:
- Copy of their completed PSAS form. (Note: Parents should send the original PSAS form and required tax documents directly to PSAS.)
- Copy of the student's most current report card.
- Parent sends the complete package (Application, copy of PSAS, copy of report card) to the principal by February 15, 2013.
- Principals complete the school section of the Geis Scholarship application, reviews required documentation submitted by the family to ensure completion, and forwards the completed information to the Office of Catechetical Formation and Education by February 27, 2013.
In May, the grant coordinator in the Office of Catholic Education will send written notification to each of the recipient families and respective Catholic school principals. Call the grant coordinator in the Office of Catholic Education at 216-696-6525, or toll-free 800-869-6525 (Judy Nakasian, ext. 3250 or Peggy Lipinski, ext. 2830).
To obtain a copy of the Geis Scholars application, please visit Trinity's Business Office.